Looking for a fresh, new meal? We all get into cooking ruts and need inspiration! Check out this scrumptious Buddha Bowl! It’s packed with protein and bursting with flavor. There’s quinoa, crispy chickpeas, mixed greens, avocados and a mouthwatering red pepper sauce.
First off… what IS quinoa and how do you even pronounce it? KEEN-wah—see that’s not so bad. Now you’re a total health-food pro. Quinoa is a superfood! It’s a grain that’s gluten free, high in protein and fiber, and amazingly contains ALL 9 essential amino acids. It’s similar in constancy to rice. There are three main types: white, red and black. They’re all delicious!
BUDDHA BOWL Ingredients: CLICK HERE to download the recipe card.
1 c. quinoa
2 c. water
1 ½ c. cooked chickpeas
drizzle olive oil
½ tsp. salt
½ tsp. smoked paprika
1 tsp. chili powder
1/8 tsp. turmeric
½ tsp. oregano
RED PEPER SAUCE
1 red bell pepper (seeds removed)
2 Tbs. olive oil
juice from 1 lemon
½ tsp. pepper
½ tsp. salt
½ tsp. paprika
¼ cup fresh cilantro
CREATING YOUR BUDDHA BOWL
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Cook the quinoa. Boil 2 cups of water, then add 1 cup of quinoa and let it simmer for 15 minutes or until the water is absorbed.
- In a bowl, toss chickpeas (garbanzo beans), oil and spices and coat evenly. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray. Bake chickpeas in the oven for 15 minutes. Cool.
- Combine all dressing ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Assemble the Buddha Bowl. Layer quinoa, chickpeas, mixed greens, and avocados. Drizzle the red pepper sauce over all of it and top with sesame seeds.
- FALL INTO HAPPY, HEALTHY FOOD COMA.
The Buddha Bowl is a perfect, filling meal for your family, a great lunchtime pick-me-up, or a beautiful dish to serve at a gathering. Even though there’s no meat in this dish, you’ll feel full because of all of the protein! This is a great option for Meatless Monday!
**The Buddha bowl in me sees and honors the Buddha bowl in you. Namaste.**
-Denise and Emily