Does this sound familiar? At the beginning of your weight loss journey you see results. The pounds fall off, your jeans fit a little more comfortably and your feeling more energy! But the second the results stop coming, you are tempted to throw in the towel and slink back to your old lifestyle. But don’t quit over those final 5, 10, or even 15 pounds! Just switch up your routine with these 8 simple tips; it could be just what you need!
1. Recalculate your caloric range. Think about it: Eating the calories per day you were once allotted may need to be adjusted now that you’ve lost weight. Talk to your Salus coach and find an appropriate range for this point in your journey.
2. Up your protein intake. Protein will keep you from feeling pangs of hunger shortly after eating and it’s important to incorporate a source of protein in each meal. Opt for lean meats, beans, eggs and Greek yogurt to ensure you’re kept healthy and satisfied as long as possible.
3. Drink a glass of water before each meal. Portion control is a massive part of weight loss, but you already know that. Put appropriate portions on your plate, but drink a glass of water before eating anything, then practice mindful eating. Stop when you’re full and allow your stomach to guide your habits rather than your eyes.
4. Cut carbs after lunch. Because you aren’t going to be physically active during the night, you can eat a lighter meal without carbs to ensure they won’t be stored as fat while you sleep. Instead, have lean protein with veggies for a satisfying, healthy evening meal!
5. Try HIIT. This high intensity exercise will raise your metabolism even after your workout is complete. So as your body fat decreases and metabolism follows, this added benefit of HIIT can lead to big results. CLICK HERE for the workout!
6. Lift heavier weights. Sounds counterproductive, right? Lifting heavier weights at lower reps can help you build muscle (without bulking up) to increase your resting metabolic rate. This will help you burn calories without changing anything about your diet!
7. Get techy. If you haven’t already, use a food journal or calorie counting application and don’t skip a single snack. For maximum results, find an app or wearable tracker that logs your sleep and activity, too, showing you exactly where you may be falling behind. You can also challenge your friends, helping you find added motivation!
8. Catch some ZZ’s. Running low on sleep will stimulate your appetite and encourage mindless — often unhealthy — snacking. Be sure to get 7-8 hours of sleep to ensure you’re well-rested, energized and prepared to make smart choices in the day ahead.
On the show, we discuss fitness, nutrition, and how to find a work life balance for the working professional. We interview other influencers and wellness pros that share powerful motivation and inspiration so you can hustle and achieve your goals! But most importantly we keep things real and we'll make you laugh so you can stay sane in the process.